Mission

MISSION: To visit every state and territory in the U.S. For my mission a visit is greater than a stop over; I wish to explore the natural and cultural environments of these areas. Each of these locations has a story to tell, and I want to find it.


As of February 2018 I have visited all 50 states (and Puerto Rico and 2 island in the US Virgin Islands) at least once.


Tuesday, October 11, 2011

How Do You Order Your Steak?

Dinner in the Cheyenne area offers limited options.  A few places were recommended to me and since I really would not know what the actual scene was in Cheyenne, I took the recommendations in stride and headed to the Terry Bison Ranch.  This place is just over the Colorado/Wyoming border off I 25.  It is a working Bison Ranch with over 1000 head on the range.  It is rustic, casual and family owned.

And it was there that I learned a new name for raw steak.  Growing up, we cooked our steak medium to medium well.  To this day, I do not like my steak bloody.  So, imagine my dismay when the menu provided an option to order your steak BLUE.  Yep - blue!!!

Blue steak was defined as completely red and cold throughout... isn't that just cut off the bison?  I ordered my steak medium in deference to the menu recommendation of medium rare (I just can't do that)... I ended up sending half my steak back because it was just too bloodly.  (I really think it was rare in the middle, it was cool and leaky)... and that made me wonder, just how blue, blue steak is?

Service at Terry's Bison Ranch was friendly and unrushed.  It was perfect for a meal alone.  The staff ended up telling me ghost stories about the ranch.  They have activity in the dining area, the bar and upstairs in the building.  Apparently they hear steps upstairs afterhours when no one is up there;  bowls have been thrown from the soup station and glasses from the bar when staff is on the other side of the room.  The ghost did not act up while I was there, but I did not stay too late.  Maybe next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment