Mission

MISSION: To visit every state and territory in the U.S. For my mission a visit is greater than a stop over; I wish to explore the natural and cultural environments of these areas. Each of these locations has a story to tell, and I want to find it.


As of February 2018 I have visited all 50 states (and Puerto Rico and 2 island in the US Virgin Islands) at least once.


Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Mad Journey of a Postcard

When I go on trips, especially to new locations, I like to send friends and family postcards.  I do this because I think everyone deserves some "happy" mail every once and a while.  And, I like to think that I help to keep the post office in business.  There is a real difference between getting an email from the Top of the World and getting a postcard!

But how long does it take for mail to make it from Barrow to the East Coast... well, today I can report that it takes A WHOLE MONTH to mail a postcard from the small town of Barrow to Freehold, NJ; New Orleans, LA, Boca Raton, FL...   a whole month.

I had given up on my mail.  My friends thought that I did not really send them out.  I did, and they arrived today!  Crazy right?  For perspective, I mailed my holiday cards from Anchorage, and they arrived to their respective locations in less than a week.  So, why did it take so long?  Yes, it is remote.  Yes, it is winter.  And yes, it was the holidays.  And no, postcards don't fly priority - but really, a whole month!?!?!?

So, to my friends, you all have heard the stories already.  You have seen the pictures, and I hope you read the blog story.... now you have your card with the Barrow postmark.  (I am sure the Memphis postcards will not take 30 days).

No comments:

Post a Comment