Mission

MISSION: To visit every state and territory in the U.S. For my mission a visit is greater than a stop over; I wish to explore the natural and cultural environments of these areas. Each of these locations has a story to tell, and I want to find it.


As of February 2018 I have visited all 50 states (and Puerto Rico and 2 island in the US Virgin Islands) at least once.


Thursday, October 19, 2017

Don't Forget the Caribbean/Replacement Vacation Planning

Anyone that has followed the news (really just been paying attention at all), knows that the Caribbean was decimated by Hurricanes Irma and Maria.  And when I say decimated, that is not Jersey exaggeration... island nations have been completely ripped apart.  People lost everything!  Island's environments were laid bare.  It is a tragedy of epic proportions. 


[I encourage any reader here to think about these communities and reach into their pocket.  There are so many charities, so many ways to help.  Some focus on specific islands.  Some on specific communities.  Some on specific issues. Whatever you do - HELP!]


Due to hurricane devastation, my much-anticipated trip to St Croix was cancelled.  There was no way to avoid this.  This trip was to mark the 100th anniversary of the US Virgin Islands becoming part of the United States.  I had planned a week exploring the towns, the environment- I booked a food tour, a hike, a kayak tour, a snorkeling adventure and more.  I have been planning this trip for a long time.


Yet, my loss in losing my vacation is but a frustration and inconvenience.  For those islands, this marks the start of a long journey back. They have a lot of work to do.  We must not forget them and their plight!   I will visit when they are ready.  These islands that depend on tourist jobs will need many travelers to make the decision to come back.  Until then, I will be sending assistance in various forms.  I sent money to organizations to provide immediate relief  from the Red Cross and the Humane Society to Ricky Martin's Fund for Puerto Rico, Global Giving for Puerto Rico.  I also adopted a family through http://www.adoptafamilyusvi.com/  In the box, we packed up emergency supplies like bug spray, mosquito nets, water filters, flashlights, tarps, snacks, clothes, towels, toiletries, first aid kits and more.

This was the best way I could think to help. And through various other amazon lists, you can add more to shipments... like toothbrushes and paste!  When everything is lost, everything is needed.  Dig deep people!


I will continue helping ...but I also need a vacation!  After looking at options and playing with plans in various locales... we tried the Groupon route again.  Options in the Caribbean are very limited (obviously).  But there are a few deals out there in Central America.  After looking at our last minute options, we decided on Belize! 

The more I think about it, the more excited I get.  Belize was on my wish list.  I wanted to see the tropical rain forest. I have head wonderful things about the beaches. People have told me how gorgeous the country is, and that it should be on my short list.  The idea of Belize was always out there, but I never looked into it more than that.  It was just a name on my list.  But there was Groupon, with a shiny deal that looked amazing.

But after our hotel fiasco in Mexico, I needed to do more due diligence.  I looked at the resort on-line; I read reviews on various travel sites (not just Groupon).  I priced out airfare to Belize City and then fare to Dangagria.  And then I bit the bullet.  We are headed to Belize's Yok Ha Resort for 4 nights!  I might tack on a night in Belize City too.

Where we are headed offers me the chance to headed into a Jaguar Sanctuary!  We could also see more Mayan ruins!  My camera is in for a new workout. They offer cave tubing. Kayaking. Snorkeling.  Hiking.  There is a lot to plan, but the Groupon is purchased.... fingers crossed I can use some United miles!

The plan is to head to Belize in early December.  It may not be a week in St Croix, but it is still something new... and I love exploring new places!


No comments:

Post a Comment