Mission

MISSION: To visit every state and territory in the U.S. For my mission a visit is greater than a stop over; I wish to explore the natural and cultural environments of these areas. Each of these locations has a story to tell, and I want to find it.


As of February 2018 I have visited all 50 states (and Puerto Rico and 2 island in the US Virgin Islands) at least once.


Tuesday, December 20, 2016

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas (In The Islands)

This is it!  I leave for New York in less than a day... by this time Thursday, I will be on the Queen Mary 2 for a holiday unlike any I have ever had... this year I will be spending Christmas through New Years on a cruise through the Caribbean.


I start off tomorrow running - Amtrak to NYC to the hotel to dump my bags and then off to a show.  I need some wintery weather in my holiday season, so I have my sites on the Irving Berlin musical, Holiday Inn for a matinee.  Then a friend is meeting me for dinner, some wandering around and an evening with Sutton Foster in the 50th Anniversary of Sweet Charity


Then Thursday, off to Brooklyn to hop on the boat!  Now - when a cruise says it is out of New York, I expect it to be out of the city.... not an hour away.  I am not looking forward to that taxi ride.  But after that it is 3 days of relaxation, 5 days of power touring, and then 3 more days of relaxation before I am back to the grind.


On tap?  First island is St Maarten where I will be hiking at Loterie Farm to get a glimpse of the island from its highest point, Pic Paradis.  The next day in Tortola, I am looking forward to seeing "one of the most unique features in the Caribbean" - Virgin Gorda.  This special island is known for huge rock formations - volcanic boulders piled on top of each other and form small grottos and pools, which contrast with the pure white sand.  The pictures should be fabulous here.  Day 3 brings me to Dominica, one of the last unspoiled islands in the Caribbean; here I will be traveling via open air 4x4 (a la Jurassic Park) to see Morne Bruce for views, wind through the mountains to Wotten Waven Sulphur Springs to see volcanic activity to the rainforest to Ti Tou Gorge.  More great photographic opportunities await on this tour.  Day 4 I take a "chill" day and hop the St Kitts Railway to watch coastline, farmland and villages roll by on this open air rail.  Our last day island hopping brings us to the only island I have visited on this itinerary, St Thomas... here I will be swimming with the sea turtles, if they show up.  I hope that the waterproof bag I have for my phone holds up (it worked great in Iceland)... I want some underwater shots and I never got myself a camera for that purpose.


Fingers crossed for good weather.  I hope to post some great shots on Instagram along the way... and I will post once I return.  Happy Holidays everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment